Wednesday 1 October 2014

Initial Ideas

George: Since posting the first ideas which we had about the video, we have since decided on a song and a general theme which we want the video to have. The song is called Trials of the Past by SBTRKT, which I believe is a suitable song as it doesn't have an official music video, is by a British artist, and the record label, Young Turks, are easily contactable in order to gain permission to use their song.
In terms of initial ideas, we have decided that the video is going to have a psychological horror influence and to be filmed in black and white. A video which I take some influence from within this genre is Sheena Is A Parasite by The Horrors.

We have also chosen various locations in which to film the video, including an abandoned house, a woods, and a bedroom. However, despite there still being many more things which we need to plan, such as costumes, characters and props, these are some strong initial ideas which we plan to build the rest of the video off of.
Jack: My initial idea would be to shoot a video for a fairly slow, relaxed, soulful song. This is because after analysing the Sam Smith video I think it would look more professional and do-able rather than attempt a Pop song and create something tacky and out of time.

Soul, R'n'B and Indie music all seem possible to use for a moderately paced music video that I have in mind. I also don't want too many characters because I don't want our music video to be confusing or too busy. A married couple or a group of friends would be a good idea for characters because they are also good relationships to match with a song. I think an emotional song will require a break up or a falling out storyline to create a really heart-wrenching piece. I think a natural setting is a good idea because then there is not a lot of setting up to do.

I like the video for Dilemma by Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland. The mix of performance shots and relaxed narrative is a perfect combination which inspires me for my own music video. I think that a loose narrative is much better than a hard to follow storyline which will distract from the song.
As well as all of this, I want my video to be quirky due to the genre I have in mind. Indie, electro music tend to have randomly loose narratives that perhaps have a deeper meaning.
I like the use of Tarot Cards in the Riptide video by Vance Joy. They are symbolic within the lyrics and I an influenced by the use of spiritual tools and equipment.

Doing this task has helped me take influence from other videos and realise the sort of video I want to create. I want my video to be quirky and have a loose narrative, with a symbolic meaning which will allow for audience interpretation.
Rhys:
Topman:
My initial idea was to have a fast paced music video, which incorporated lots of cuts to help it meet the generic conventions of music videos. By having lots of cuts it means that the audience are always going to be interested and intrigued and therefore pay attention to the music video. Without lots of cuts, shots can become tedious and long, making it feel awkward or boring for the audience to watch. By having lots of fast paced cuts from one shot to another can also show that we are able to edit, increasing the professionalism of our music video.

Also my initial ideas included a strong narrative for a music video, this is because I feel including a strong narrative can help to engage an audience, and make it more personal to some audience members. This in turn would help make people understand and relate to our music video. However, this being said, I would still like to ensure that the music video isn't one type of music video and does have aspects of all three types (performance, narrative and conceptual) of music video to keep it interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment